|Position: Doctoral Researcher
Tel: +353 (0)86 088 1511
James is studying a PhD with the Programmable City project. His research evaluates international city standards and their effects on urban technologies, politics and economics. He aims to give smart city practitioners and civil servants in Dublin a better overview of the strengths and weaknesses of the standards they might adopt, and to contribute to academic debates on the smart city, standardisation and trans-national governance.
- standards and infrastructure
- code, codings and algorithms
- urban geography
- science and technology studies
- White, J.M. (forthcoming) Politicising smart city standards. In Coletta, C., Evans, L., Heaphy, L., and Kitchin, R. (eds) Creating Smart Cities. Oxon and New York: Routledge.
- White, J.M. (2018) Following data threads. In Kitchin, R., McArdle, G. and Lauriault, T., (eds) Data and the City. Oxon and New York: Routledge, pp. 85–97.
- White, J.M. (2017) Rethinking the Spaces of Standardisation through the Concept of Site. Tecnoscienza: Italian Journal of Science & Technology Studies, 8(2), 151–174.
- White, J.M. (2016) Moving applications: a multilayered approach to mobile computing. In Kitchin, R. and Perng, S.-Y., (eds) Code and the City. Oxon and New York: Routledge, pp. 130–145.
- White, J.M. (2016) Anticipatory logics of the smart city’s global imaginary. Urban Geography, 37(4), 572–589.
- White, J.M. (2016) ‘Standardising the city as a system of systems: CPA-I_001, ISO 37120, BSI PAS 181′, Creating Smart Cities Workshop, 3 September 2016, Maynooth University, Maynooth, Ireland.
- White, J.M. (2016) ‘ISO 37120, a medium for economies of translation’, 4S/EASST Conference, 1 September 2016, Barcelona, Spain.
- White, J.M. (2016) ‘Governing the city as a system of systems: CPA-I_001 ISO 37120, BSI PAS 181′, Smart Urban Futures & Social Justice, 29 June 2016, Leeds, UK.
- White, J.M. (2016) ‘The Programmable city, Smart Dublin & city standards’, City Standards Institute board meeting, 16 June 2016, London, UK.
- White, J.M. and Lauriault, T.P. (2016) ‘Data threads and dislocations in Canadian urban indicator initiatives’, Conference of Irish Geographers, 5 May 2016, Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland.
- White, J.M. (2016) ‘Standards and spatial theory: ISO 37120 and the work of making city data commensurable’, Making Standards, 22 January 2016, Dalhousie University, Halifax NS, Canada.
- White, J.M. (2015) ‘Stacks, scales and manifolds: conceptualising the folding space-times of digital technology’, Conference of Irish Geographers, 21 May 2015, Queens University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- White, J.M. (2015) ‘ISO 37120:2014′, Conference of the Association of American Geographers, 21 April 2015, Chicago IL, USA.
- White, J.M. (2015) ‘#Stacktivism: the political work of a spatio-technical representation’, Political Geography Speciality Group Preconference, 20 April 2015, DePaul University, Chicago IL, USA.
- White, J.M. (2015) ‘ISO 37120:2014′, PhD presentation to the Geography Department, 30 March 2015, Maynooth University, Maynooth, Ireland.
- White, J.M. (2014) ‘Moving applications: a multilayered approach to mobile computing’, Code and the City Workshop, 3 September 2014, National University of Ireland Maynooth, Maynooth, Ireland.
- White, J.M. (2014) ‘Smart City Futures: Crisis urbanism and the privatisation of governance’, Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute seminar, 18 June 2014, Melbourne University, Melbourne, Australia.
- White, J.M. (2014) ‘Unpacking promises of post-crisis urban management: anticipatory logics of the smart city discourse’, Conference of Irish Geographers, 9 May 2014, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
- White, J.M. (2014) ‘Not really smart, not really the city: definitions, rationalisations and critiques of the smart city’, Sociological Association of Ireland Postgrad Conference, 8 March 2014, National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Ireland.